Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Downside to LIfe in GTMO

I've been thinking for awhile that in order to be fair and give a balanced view of life in GTMO, I should write a post about the negatives of living here.  To be completely honest, I've had a hard time coming up with a list.  This is interesting, because depending on who you talk to, you may find a much longer list of negatives than I have to offer.  I simply love it here.  Yes, there are aspects that are different, or inconvenient, but nothing that makes me not want to be here.  For some people, the negatives make them want to get back to stateside living as soon as possible.  And I totally understand that sentiment and don't fault them for it at all.  It just simply isn't my experience.

I've found that generally, people who live here will fall into one of three categories:
1. Those who absolutely love it here and would stay for the rest of their lives or for at least a very long period of time.
2. Those who like it ok, but are content mainly because they know it will be temporary.
3. Those who hate it and can't wait to leave.

I think that I would fall somewhere in between category 1 and 2.  While I don't want to live here forever and not even for a really long time, I feel perfectly content and happy to live here for say, 4 or 5 years.  Of course, I've only been here for a little less than 4 months, so perhaps I will change my mind.  But right now I'm very content and happy.

Here are my couple of dislikes:

1. Mosquitos and No-see-ums - the mosquitos aren't as bad as the no-see-ums and both of them seem to come in waves.  I notice that particularly after it rains, there seems to be an abundance of the nasty little biting insects.  Bug spray has become a way of life here particularly if we are going to be out in the evenings.  Benadryl and Hydrocortisone cream have become a hot commodity in our household as we have gone through no less than 4 tubes since our arrival.

2. The Weather - since we moved from a hot climate in Florida, this isn't really an adjustment for us.  But because we didn't love the weather in Florida either, it isn't a plus for me either.  It is at least 80 degrees during the day year round and often times, it is closer to 90 degrees.  I do find it less humid than where we were in FL though.  The intensity of the sun is incredible.  90 degrees her doesn't feel like 90 degrees anywhere else I've been.  It actually hurts to stay in the sun for too long.  I am very fair-skinned so along with bug spray, sunscreen has been my close ally.

There are certainly other aspects of life here that are different or a little more inconvenient, but it isn't anything that makes my life less enjoyable.  I feel like the good outweighs the bad and I came here knowing that life wouldn't be like it is in the states.  I am trying to embrace the unique experience and enjoy it as much as I can!


No comments:

Post a Comment