- Craft fair - I think this might be held quarterly. There have been two since I've been here. I was absolutely amazed at the variety and quality of crafts being sold. Jewelry, framed photography, hand drawn cards, hair bows, oil lamp bottles, beach-combing crafts of all sorts, and scented wax smell-good things were among some of the offerings. My favorite thing was local honey! Yes, someone here has bee hives and bottles the honey. Fantastic!
- Paintball Range - There is a store there that sells everything anyone would need to paintball. My son got the whole set up as a Christmas gift from the grandparents and is ready to go!
- Treasures and Trivia - this is our thrift store and it has fabulous yard-sale prices. I found a Pampered Chef cookie sheet for $1.50!
- Paperclips - the gtmo version of an office supply store. I found several things that kids would like too like stationary, paint, backpacks, etc.
- Radio GTMO - I don't think I've mentioned this before, but we have our own radio station here. They sell t-shirts, bobble-heads, water bottles and some other items. The t-shirts say, "Rockin' in Fidel's backyard"
- Marine Hill - at the Marine's headquarter building, they sell t-shirts, coins and flags that have been flown over the Northeast Gate. The t-shirts have the quote from A Few Good Men, "I eat breakfast 300 yards from 4000 Cubans who are trained to kill me"
- Dive Shop - perfect for the scuba diver, they sell everything necessary for diving but also have * tons of things that anyone who is headed to the beach would enjoy. Goggles, fins, masks, knives, t-shirts, beach shoes, etc.
- *Coming Soon* a bowling shop at the bowling alley
- The Windjammer restaurant - they sell a couple of t-shirts and a really fun caricature-style map of gtmo
- GTMO Family Connection - this is gtmo's facebook page and comes in handy for buying and selling. I bought a fantastic Batman Lego set for Vincent from someone who accidentally ordered two!
- Marina - besides bait, I actually haven't paid too close attention to what they sell, but I do think I remember sunglasses and some fishing stuff.
- McDonald's - giftcards baby! ok, so maybe this is a stretch, but hey =) And I don't actually even know if they sell giftcards...
Friday, December 21, 2012
Like most people during this time of year, I've been doing some Christmas shopping. I've mentioned before that there is only one store here. And while that is true, I did realize that there are other places to shop as well. For fun, I decided to come up with a list of all the places to shop besides the exchange.